Wednesday 14 November 2012

Creating the hands

I knew the hands in the animation will be one of the most challenging parts of the modelling and animation. But I wanted to attempt it because I wanted to broaden my skills from simpler objects and this would have to be the most realistic and complex I think I have attempted to date.

Modelling the Hand

I followed a step by step online tutorial, this helped me learn new tools and skills. These included:

  • The cut tool to add geometry
  • The cap tool to add an end to a hole
  • How to link a biped to selected body models
For ease, here is the tutorial I used to help me: http://athey.comyr.com/tutdump/hand/index.html

It allowed me to start with a box and, using reference planes, shape the box into a hand. The reference planes helped me guide the model to the correct size and depth.

I always used vertices to mould the hand as they gave the most freedom and accuracy. I started with the palm, working my way to thumb. After this I extruded the fingers by capping them and extruding them each.

I drew added geometry to the fingers and the hands by using the cut tool. This new geometry could be moulded to add more detail to the model.

Once I was happy with the shape I added a skin colour to make it realistic and easier to visualise the final outcome.

Making the Sleeve

The sleeves were made by using cylinders that were made more realistic by using soft selection and moving the edges and vertices.

I then inset the end polygon and extruded it out, inset again, then extruded inwards to make the inner sleeve of the arm.

I then placed the hand in the correct position to form an almost finished arm. I did not make them a group beacuse now the hand would be able to move separately.

I added a relevant material to to the sleeve.

Making them move

To make the hands move and animate I had to rig them to a biped. I have not had much experience working with bipeds so I was very cautious and saved my work more often than usual!

I placed the arm (hand and sleeve) at shoulder height of the biped. In figure mode I moved the arms of the biped so its arms were out wide. I then placed the bones inside the arm as best I could, moving the finger, hand and arm bones by using rotation, scale and move tools.

Once I was happy I added a a skin modifier separately to each sleeve and hand. I then had to add the relevant bones to each component. I had to make sure all the left hand bones were in the left hand and right bones in the right arm. This then made the model link with the movements on the biped and made it come alive!

Now I could move the biped and the arms and hands would do the same. When rendering I could hide the skeleton to conceal any sticking out bones.

Making the other characters

The animation consists of three peoples perspectives. For each of them I added a different material to the sleeves and a watch to the japanese character.

I really enjoyed creating the models but I found the animation and rigging more challenging. I wouldn't mind trying it again but I am pleased with the result of the arms I have now.

No comments:

Post a Comment