Monday 1 October 2012

3D WW2 Bomb trial

To ease myself back into 3Ds Max for this project I decided to create a replica of a Japanese bomb, similar to the one used in the theatrical movie Pearl Harbor.


The trailer shows the bomb from release from a Japanese aircraft and follows the drop onto USS Arizona. This real-life visual link is an important basis to start the bomb from and gives a great starting point for the model.

The first step was to create a sphere and mould the it into a bomb shape. I did this by selecting the sphere and converting it to an editable poly, and by using soft selection I could stretch the sphere into the elongated bomb shape.

I wanted to add the wings to the bomb. I did this by creating a thin rectangle and moved one edge up to make a trapezium shape. I then added another, smaller trapezium to the wing and joined the two into a group. I could then multiply this shape by 4 by holding CTRL and moving the wing. I then arranged them to surround the bomb at 45 degrees.


Then I created a holed box by using the Boolean tool. By aligning Operand B directly in the center of the box I created the wing box. I then added a tube to attach the wing box to bomb.

Once the shape is correctly aligned I could add materials. I found relative metal textures online and edited them in the material editor. I added texture using the bump feature and changed the glossiness and specular level. I then added it to the model.

Finished bomb model. This can now by used for the animation later. This also helped me get used to the software again.



No comments:

Post a Comment